Tuesday, March 27, 2012

LOVE This DIY, Cool Mommy/Food blogs, Recipes, and Feeling Mighty Fashion-less

Love this DIY I found on Pinterest.  Here are some photos and the link of how to:

http://www.zelophotoblog.com/91204/?cat=4

chevron-pattern-diy-planter-box-03chevron-pattern-diy-planter-box-04chevron-pattern-diy-planter-box-06chevron-pattern-diy-planter-box-07chevron-pattern-diy-planter-box-08


Yesterday (Sunday) my impeccable diet consisted of 3 slices of pizza, 2 pieces (maybe 3) of cake and a couple of pints of Beltian Whites. That is a mighty wheaty day, and all I could do yesterday afternoon was lie on the couch and complain about how tired I am. O.k, so I am going to give it a go. I just made a quinoa salad, with roasted almonds, ginger, garlic, honey, soy sauce, orange segments (+ juice) and kale. It was really good...I added some fried tofu on top (which I love) and I am feeling full, and not tired at all.

I just found a couple of great blogs which have awesome wheat free (and gluten free) recipes and some great mommy wisdom. I love the people out there like me who know they are over-stressed and who try to simplify things by cooking wholesome food,  and who try to sneak some veggies to their children, on the sly...Women who are trying to eat better as they age (in my case it is becoming a must).

http://theveggiehouse.blogspot.com/
http://www.runningwithtweezers.com/black-quinoa-cherry-pistachio-salad/
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

This is from Running with tweezers blog/website. Love her musings about being good to herself this year, and giving herself more time...A different version of Quinoa, black Quinoa - gotta try it:


Black Quinoa Salad with Cherries, Pistachios and Cress – serves 4 as a light meal
  • 1 cup dried black quinoa – rinsed and well-drained
  • 2 cups water or lightly flavored vegetable stock
  • 1 cup pitted cherries, cut in half or quartered
  • 1/3 cup chopped roasted & salted pistachios
  • 2 cups red watercress – washed, dried and tougher stems removed
  • 3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbsp. good quality extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tsp. honey
  • kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan with a lid, bring the water/stock to a boil. Stir in the quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, until the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender but not mushy – this is about 12 minutes for me but depends on the quinoa you’re using. If it’s still got a bit of bite once the water has been absorbed, add a bit more liquid and continue to cook. Once cooked, remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Fluff with a fork to break up the grains.
- Mix the cooked quinoa with the pistachios and cherries in a salad bowl. Drizzle over the dressing and mix to coat completely. Portion out onto plates and top with handful of the watercress leaves. If you’d like, grind a bit more pepper over the top & sprinkle with a tiny bit of kosher salt to garnish. Serve immediately.


Also check out this photo/recipe from my FAVORITE blog of a very dear friend, and amazing mom, vegetarian chef and photographer:

http://theveggiehouse.blogspot.com/

honey mustard dressing
6 ingredients:  dairy free

1 tsp. of honey
1 tsp. of tahini
1 tsp. of olive oil
1/2 tsp. of yellow mustard
1/2 tsp. of balsamic vinegar
1-2 tsp. of water



This is my favorite salad dressing.  I love honey mustard dressing but most of them have a ton of ingredients you can't pronounce and the ones that don't aren't that great in my opinion.   A lot of homemade honey mustard dressings use mayonnaise to make it creamy, but I've never liked mayo, so I use tahini instead.  It's still creamy but no dairy.  I also like the tanginess of balsamic vinegar and even just a small amount makes a difference in this recipe. The ingredients listed make enough for two small salads or one large one.  You can double or triple it if you need more.

Check out her blog, great recipes!
And my re-design of my living room is well, going slowly. Hopefully we can buy the paint this weekend (my sons birthday party/presents wiped us out this week). This week I have been thinking about who I used to be, back in NYC in the old days....I miss fashion, the streets of NY,  and all of my dear old freinds in Brooklyn and New England.  So I have been pinning on pinterest, wasting time perhaps dreaming of being able to wear high heels again (ha, thats funny), meet a friend for drinks,  go to my favorite galleries, perhaps dinner...Yes its been a while, my dear husband, we need a date. If I make you read this blog, (again)book the babysitter. xo.


Would love to look like this (not likely), dressed like this, somewhere in a city with nothing to do but explore....
Pinterest, Alexander Wang
 and shoes, oh would love to be able to wear a high heel again. Don't know if I actually could though. Oh, the pain.

And here are more shelves, and some more blue painted ceilings:

Blue Ceiling, Design Sponge 

I used to restore, paint and install these hand-painted wallpapers in NY, and all over the northeast. Miss you Joe and Patty!

The Velvet Palette


I will be writing soon with some serious home progress, and more photos of my completed floorcloth, almost done. Building my own website, hoping to be up by summer. So hard to find the time...

3 comments:

  1. Hey, it's me again. Cool wooden planter. I have scrap wood in the garage that I could do something with one day... so wheat intolerance, eh? Well, you knows? It might not be the wheat, but the lack of other good things, because when you're eating carbs 3x a day (and I love them too!), there's not much time or room for veggies and you're not getting the micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) you need and therefore feeling tired. You might want to watch a show on PBS that features a Dr. Joel Furhman (I think that's his name). He's great - explains nutrition in a very common sense way and how food can heal us or make us sick. He says that by eating right, we can avoid the chronic diseases that so many older people get, like diabetes. I'm paying attention! I don't ever want to need prescription medication.

    I like what you've done with the room so far! I was wondering how your fireplace could turn from dingy to the light-color in the other photo? I really like that look, because you can see the stone, but it's just lighter and brighter. Did they just steam-clean or do something else?
    xoxo
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sis. My only faithful blog reader. :) Thank you for looking.
      I think it is the wheat, after many months of struggling. It is especially bad when I combine foods, like flour and cheese, (pizza) and sugars and white flour. (cake). Yes, I love those things, but I rarely indulge like I did on Sunday. Jamesies 4th birthday party was why...So busy I forgot to make my smoothie in the morning, which always gives me so much energy. Then I was so hungry and the pizza was right in front of me! So yummy, but I felt terrible all day afterwards. A very sad day to realize I can't handle the carbs/cheese anymore. Since Sunday I have had no wheat; just quinoa, many different veggies, tofu stir fry and fruit smoothies, and I feel amazing! No cravings for bad foods which is so nice.
      Yes, the stone fireplace is something I am tackling. I am going to clean it, and lighten it a little with my decorative painting techniques. I did one small part of my fireplace, and it looks so much brighter and cleaner. I would never cover up the natural stone with just paint; you can never get it back...Or not without a struggle. I will post as soon as I see. Thanks for the info...xoxo

      Delete
  2. I'm sure I'm not your only faithful blog reader - it's just that other people don't have as much time on their hands as I do...

    That IS a very sad day to realize you can't handle carbs and cheese! That photo of you eating the pizza is classic. I hope this isn't a permanent condition. I eat buttered toast very morning with my coffee - it's such a habit that I don't know what I would do if I had to quit! Anyway, it sounds like you are eating really well now and doing great with different foods. Your body is telling you what it needs.

    How was Jamesie's 4th-birthday party? I bet he had loads of fun.

    I saw your note asking whether I'm still coming out. Hard to say. I'm waiting to hear about something I've applied for - not a job, but an appointment to a City commission - and then I'll decide. It's difficult because of my financial situation. I also need to decide if I want to use my plane ticket or save it for something else and drive out instead. But I would love to see you and I'd like to get out of town for a while. Yes, I'll give you a call this week-end...

    ReplyDelete