Thursday, May 3, 2012

Progress...Made my own Stencil and Re-vampin' Second Hand Lamps!

Wow. What a day. What a week, what a month...Sometimes I look at the clock and cannot believe the time. 4:30 p.m.? But I just woke up a second ago; wait, I have 20 more things to get done today.... I think I have figured it all out...One must say, f**k it, I am not cleaning the house today. Yes, liberating indeed, and then work on your art/project/life/things that matter most.  Look at your kids; I mean look, listen and stop rushing them and yourself around so much. (I am preaching to myself on this point, not y'all..)
On your deathbed will you ever say "God, I wish my house had been cleaner." Hell no!  And if I had a dollar for every time I said to my kids "Hurry, we are running late" I would have a nice fat nest egg going. Which of course, I don't.

So, I have not had the time to blog, just got over some awful crummy virus; but I have found (kind of) some time to create. Started another floor cloth in a zig zag pattern- trendy yes, but I just have to try it.  Here is my inspiration:



Dwell Studio
 So far I have just drawn half of the lines in...Next I need to sew some placemats and table runners to sell at the Farmers market, (and my own website) if I can get enough made in time. I love a deadline (classic procrasinator that I am).

And finally finished my thrift store lamps. My whopping $9.00 purchase for the pair of lamps picked up at a nice local thrift store needed some serious attention (they have been sitting in my garage for months staring at me, and it was not a nice look).  I decided to make my own stencil; two hours of time, one sharp exacto knife and two band aids later, and this is what I came up with:

In reality, it is about 6" diameter.

And these are the lamps before, such a lovely shade of pink and gold hardware. Oh the 1980's...



A lovely shade of mauve, had to rip that fabric off!






Gold base, gold hardware, yikes.

So then I decided to paint these shades...trial and error; I painted them and slowly distressed them, trying to make them look like old linen...And then a huge crack got bigger, and then I knew I was off to Target to get 2 new shades with a better shape.  And painting a lampshade is not that great of an idea; hard to make it so the light comes out. Next time I would really water the paint down.


Close up of my stencil.
 I used light blue, white and a linen green for colors.
In real life it is much lighter..
God I need a new camera!

Finished lamp with stencil shade. I spraypainted all the gold away,  and sanded the inside and outside of the lamp after I had spraypainted it with silver. I was attempting to make it look aged, or like mercury glass. It needs more work, but looks better than it did...

So thus this is my first published, blogged DIY. Only took 3 months. I have so many more things I would like to do...But first, an update on our house. Just painted my daughter Lily's room Lily Lavender...A pottery barn color which I thought was far too purple (or bright); in actuality it looks soothing and beautiful in her room. She picked it, and my friend brilliantly said "They are only little for so long, when else is she going to want a bright purple room?" Too right... I am going to paint a mural on the wall; a white birch tree (?) with leaves, butterflies, owls and flowers...Yes, another crazy trend, but its what she wants....I would do anything for that kid. Before and after photos to come, time will tell when.

Here are some great kids rooms, which I wouldn't mind being my room they are so nice:


Pottery Barn, always good, but everyone knows it, or owns it...remember the friends episode?


Wee Decor


C.K. Nyman Interior Design, Love the Rug and colors




Serena and Lily Ramona...And this is kids bedding. I want that window chair.


Serena and Lily Tangerine Elephant
 So heres to the weekend.  I must find some time to work! Going to be tough with my husband flying to Korea for a week. sigh. Have to sand/paint the top bunk he just completed for Lily's room, decorate the bottom bunk with glow in the dark stars, (so Lily can look up at them and see glow in the dark constellations, cozy) and design and paint mural. Phew...I'll keep you posted, cheers to the weekend on the horizon!










































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment